Tuesday, June 10, 2008

San Diego Decompression

Sometimes you just need to decompress. Last week, Eric went to wrestling camp in SoCal. The rest of the fam and I went to San Diego for a reprieve from the heat and to take a mental and physical "breath of fresh air". Warning: lots of photos!


First up was Mission Bay. You know how the crowd at Mission Bay is kinda crazy...my kids are not so much. Apparently they are very sheltered....I thought they were going to crawl right out of their skin. After walking around getting creeped out, we people watched some more at a corner taco shop. Like the homeless guy sitting behind the kids? He was shootin' the breeze with this totally creepy hippy lady with not enough clothes on. It was hilarious to watch the kids' faces....sleezy people, college party animals, scantily clad old women, homeless guys... so funny!

Next was Sea Port Village. A LOT tamer. We had a Ben & Jerry's at 11:00. I can't think of a better vacation brunch. Can you?

Later we had a BBQ with our friends, the Banks. Bekah decided to be a monkey...the Banks' kids thought it was great. We always have so much fun with them. For me, it's like stepping back in time to when I had three little kids under 5. How did I live through that? It was so nice of Brett and Kami to feed us, too! (Thanks, guys!)

A trip to San Diego isn't complete without seeing Shamu. Kami and the kids met us for part of the day. It was such a great day. The weather was perfect!

I always have such a great time with Kami. It seems like there is never enough time to get all the way caught up. I am really thankful for the time we did have though. Kami is so awesome. She basically saved my life and I will always be indebted to her for that. She is such a great mom, so patient. She is a great and talented triathlete (I'm sure she'll be pro one day), and a great friend. She is one of my biggest supporters, and I am so thankful that we are friends. Love you, Kami! Thank you for EVERYTHING. I'll have to post my Kami-the-lifesaver story sometime, but trust me....she's great.

The rest of our trip was spent up in the OC. That's where the relaxation ended. Back to real life. We had an extended family crisis to attend to. Jay's mom has cancer. She is one tough lady. If anyone can kick cancer's butt, it's her. Still, it's going to be a scary, emotional, and trying time for a while.

We missed seeing some cousins we had planned on getting together with. Next time, Jackmans and Potters for sure!

We had a great trip and are not happy to be back home. It's hot. Like 105. It was weird to not have Eric with us for the week. I missed him!

I miss the ocean. A lot. There will be another trip soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you guys had fun here. It sounds like it was just what the "doctor order". I feel a little guilt that you would write such nice stuff. You are the one who was your own lifesaver. I swear it the extra endorphins from exercise that really saves peoples lives. I just showed you how to get it. :) Thanks for being a good friend, and a good example to me of being persistant and determined in all that you do. Love Ya

heidi said...

I love all the pictures! I really wish we could have gotten together. With Darin leaving the next morning at the crack of dawn--packing and all that it just didn't happen. We are for sure on the next time you are down...I'm glad you had a great trip.