Thursday was my fifth race. It was a Splash 'n Dash in Tempe Town Lake. 1000 meter swim (a little over 1/2 a mile) followed by a 3k run. It was harder than I thought it would be, hopefully because I was getting sick. It was good practice for open water swimming (ie getting kicked in the head and swam over the top of) and good practice for transition. I got some serious chaffing on my arm compounded by being kicked and scratched, but all in all it was good. I finished in the time I wanted, and my goal is now completed. I can now look forward to my May triathlon (my "A" race) and focus on getting faster and having fun (I know... weird to have triathlon and fun in the same sentence!)
The only reason I posted this pic is so that you can see that I'm on my way to transition and there are still people in the water! Look close.......

I'm starting to understand why I'm into this racing thing. I love to prove people wrong. I am slow, overweight, and depressed. I shouldn't be able to race. But guess what?!? I pull my butt out of bed, get to the gym, the trainer, or out on the road. I swim twice a week. I bike twice a week. I run twice a week. I lift weights twice a week. I try to watch my diet (key word there is TRY). I take all my meds. I am still a mess. I know it, and I'm almost okay with it. I am almost okay with the fact that people look at me and judge me, incorrectly... and there is nothing I can do about it. I have to be comfortable knowing that I am doing the best I can. Sometimes I'm lame, sometimes I miss a workout, sometimes I yell at my kids. Sometimes I push myself really well at a workout, sometimes I just complete it. My house is still a mess. I'm still fat. But I work hard. I'm ALMOST comfortable in my own skin. In my world, that's a huge accomplishment for anyone. YOUR new goal: be comfortable in your own skin.
Immediately after the race, Bekah is offering a towel. She's so sweet..... trying to figure out how she can make me feel better (I'm breathing pretty hard, probably not looking so good). She's like...Oh! She's still wet! "Here, Mom. Dry off!" It'll make everything "all better". Such a good MIT (mom-in-training).





3 comments:
That is SO great! I am envious of all your racing and especially your hard work. I am walking about 4 miles a day 3 days a week and running 3 miles on Saturdays. I don't like pushing my jogger stroller when I run, but I need to start doing more running. You look great and keep up the good work.
We ALL have our stuff--big or small. I have gone through some pretty crazy stuff too and it's hard sometimes to think about the people out there that actually think they have a perfect life. I don't and I know that.
I think it's great that you write about what you are going through.
Let me know the next time you are in NB visiting your parents. I'd love to visit and reconnect.
Fu** the assholes who think that they are so much better than everyone else. You don't need them or want to know them anyway. You are doing great and the best you can with the hand you were dealt, your kids know that and your hubby and that's all that matters. I am very proud of you and I love telling people you do triathalons!It almost makes me sound cool.
I am seriously impressed, Shaunee! :)
YOU ARE AWESOME!
Post a Comment