So, my (awesome, well-behaved, perfect-NOT!) son is suspended for 5 days. He got into a fight at school. It was "self defense". The police (always on duty at the HS!) and witnesses all agree. Eric was tackled by another guy who accused him of "sayin stuff 'bout" him. Eric got in the last punches. The policeman (Officer Lively-seriously-the biggest, buffest man I've ever seen) pulled him off the kid, ripping Eric's shirt. No cuts, blood, or bruises involved. We've always taught our kids to NEVER get into a fight, but if someone else starts it, they should defend themselves and finish it. With school rules these days it doesn't matter who starts it, if you are involved at all, you are suspended. Period. No negotiation. With any luck, he won't get kicked off the baseball team, but that's still up in the air. He is now the official "slave" at our office until next Wednesday. (also the busiest week of the ENTIRE YEAR). Perfect timing.
Here's the conundrum. If it really isn't his fault, do we still punish him? The school has their part covered. What about at home? My little darling has been caught in some minor mishaps lately, causing me to doubt the trust I had in him. After all my investigating, finding that he is not at fault, do I let it go?
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
I say don't punish him. If you guys taught your kids to not fight unless its in self-defense, then you shouldn't punish him. I mean being suspended AND working in the office for you guys...thats punishment enough.
I hope he doesn't get kicked off the baseball team -- that would make Eric want to beat the kid up again.
this is where a parenting guide sent with the child at birth would be helpful. It's hard to say what to do because I think each situation is and should be unique to the child and the problem. I am all for the no fighting but defend yourself too--here it's "words" out of Delaney's mouth we have to watch, not swearing--but just plain RUDE things can come flying out of that girls mouth. Good luck with whatever you choose, go with your what your heart tells you--he sounds like a good kid just caught in the middle of this generation of mean kids.
Brad and I think that being a "slave" at work w/ you and Jay is punishment enough. I can't believe 5 days though!! When Brad would get suspended his mom took him to her work to clean the machines...he says it was absolute torture. He also was grounded pretty much his entire HS career. Good luck with this.....glad its you and not me.
I say he's probably had punishment enough. He defended himself. Can you imagine what would have happened if he stood there and just took it? I'm just sayin'. Self defense. He didn't start it. And personally, I'm glad Eric went after that idiot and finished the fight. And if he gets kicked off the baseball team, which I don't think he will, I would throw the BIGGEST stink at his school. That would seriously be the DUMBEST thing ever. He's not the one who attacked someone from outta nowhere. Interested to hear the outcome of this one....
Post a Comment