Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A bat flew at my head!

Earlier tonight, I was sitting at my computer - minding my own business -

I see this dark thing fly by, just outside of my periferal (sp?) vision. In the milisecond it takes me to realize that some foreign beast is in my house, I scream, duck, and rush into the kitchen. I scream "There's a bat in the house!" to Rebekah, who is sitting in front of the tv. Then I see the flying rodent fly into the kitchen-at my head(!!!), then into the tv room, by Bekah's head!... I'm still screaming and running, while crouching. I run to the back door, fling it open (thinking that the bat will go out), then run out the front door. Rebekah was already outside, beating me by seconds. She's laughing.... I'm on the verge of terror. We stood in the middle of the cul-de-sac and tried to figure out how that thing got into the house to begin with. I realized that I left my cell phone inside. Jay and the boys were at baseball practice. "Crap! I have to go back in!". Thinking that maybe I was mistaken - I've never seen a bat around my house! - I VERY cautiously crouch/walk back into the house. There's a BAT flying around my kitchen! I saw it for sure! I grabbed my cell phone off the dining room table and RAN back outside. Here's my phone call:

"Jay! You have to come home NOW!"
"Why?"
"There's a BAT in the house!"
"What?"
"A BAT!" (yes, I'm screaming at him)
laughter "Are you sure?"
"Umm, yea. You can't make this stuff up."
"True." more laughter "We'll be right there."

Now Bekah and I are pacing up and down and all-around, watching the still open front door - in case the bat flies out.

I get a phone call.
Jay says "Are you kidding me?"
"NO! Are you almost here? We're not going back in there! We're standing in the middle of the cul-de-sac until you get here, and it's dead and gone!"
"We're almost there." (Now I hear Eric cracking up in the background.)
From the background, Eric says "Don't worry, Mom. I've got my bat." (more laughing)

They arrived.........not laughing any more-because of the look of panic on my face... but Eric really is carrying his Baseball bat.

They searched the entire house, room by room, closet by closet, TWICE, and didn't find it. They assumed it flew out the back door (still open). Not convinced, I make them go back a third time. Nothing. I still didn't want to go back in. We went to watch the rest of David's practice. When we got home, I made them check the house again. Nothing!

So here I am, back at my computer, hoping I don't see the flying creepy thing again. I'm sure it flew outside, but eeeeeeew! I've got the heebie-jeebies. My skin is crawling. I don't think that even Ambien will help me sleep tonight.

Oh yeah, and earlier this afternoon the window in my van exploded. On the freeway. Again, minding my own business. That's a whole different post. Maybe tomorrow. For today, even though it's Tuesday the 4th, it feels like Friday the 13th, and I'm ready for it to end.

Wish me sleep. I'll need it.

2 comments:

Mary said...

HAHA!! I was seriously laughing out loud. I know its really easy for other people to laugh at this situation, but if it were me I would have cried. I hate bats. And how did your window just explode? How does that happen? You will have to blog about that one.

heidi said...

I can't wait to read about the window exploding. I hate bats but I hate snakes even more. They make me scream and run. Hopefully it left and you won't have to see it again. Creepy.