Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Spring Break is no party for "the Mom"

Okay, it's not THAT bad, but close. Spring Break is like a preview to summer..... bored kids wanting to be entertained. No amount of planning is ever enough. Even when your kids are HUGE, they are still the same pain in the butt they were when they were toddlers at home all day. Just bigger pains in the butt, and their forms of entertainment cost more money. On Wednesday I took us for an excursion to the East Valley. First stop was Chandler, where there is a Ruby's at the mall. Nice mall..... better Cinnamon Roll French Toast. We usually only have this in CA, at the end of the Huntington Beach pier. This was totally worth the "cheat" factor on the diet. So good! I think I'll be dreaming about it for the next week! After my favorite comfort food, we attempted to go to Ikea..... but got lost and went for a "drive". We finally made it to Ikea, got the necessary shopping for picture frames and lamps done. The next stop was Mesa, home of Nielsens. Truly rounding out the "cheat" day on the diet, I had a grinder (yummiest sandwich ever) and split a concrete (a pint of chocolate frozen custard with Whoppers and extra hot fudge mixed in) with Bekah. Again, soooooo worth it. Since my kids are older now, especially the boys, life revolves around food. Thus this DAY filled around food was awesome. We haven't had food like this in a long time, so it was a real treat and worth the trip. Too bad we had to top if off with stir-fry at home for dinner:( Here's some shots of us Nielsens:



Look how much taller Eric is than me!...

Mmmmmmm....... chocolate!

Poor Jay is working his tail off right now (it's tax time). I don't think he missed being at Ikea though:)

On Sunday, we went to Julianne's for dinner. As soon as we got home from church, I had to start getting my part of the food together so we could be there on time. I didn't have time to change my clothes. I had on a new dress. I felt good. Apparently after all those teenage years not liking each other, we now have the same taste:

I knew I should have worn heels!

The food was yummy, the kids had fun, the day was a success. Now the kids are back to school and I am "recovering" by increasing my training intensity. I didn't lose any weight last week, but I didn't gain any either. Small victories. This weekend is my 5K training race. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

heidi said...

there are many great things about this post. I LOVE Ruby's I LOVE Ikea. I LOVE food. I LOVE to have one cheat day a week. And to top it all off I have that SAME dress!!!!!

Too great!!

Serena Potter said...

The Potters are having a good laugh!

Holly said...

Wouldn't that be funny if I had the same dress....too bad I don't, its cute. Kah-Kah looks like Mary to me when Mary was that age. I had to do a double take. Freaky. Brad agreed but he says Kah-kah has a different mouth than Mary.