These are the mommy feelings of the week.
I am so proud of Eric and how good is he doing right now. It's like a light went on in his head and all the nagging about how grades count and the attitude you portray at practice counts, and sometimes you need to just give things a chance.... all that crap....now it's clicking. He's doing great in school, great in wrestling-one of the team leaders, and is one of the captains of the football team for next year. I think he's finally coming into his own. However, I am a realist and recognize that he is still a teenager and more pitfalls are to come, but for right now-I am so proud of the guy he's turning into.
The frustration comes from my lovely daughter. The mom vs. teenage daughter crap has officially begun. I kinda feel sorry for her future kids. She's gonna be a NAG. Man... it's like she's second guessing how I run the house, how I parent, like she's MY mom. What's up with that? If I'm not home when she gets home, I immediately get a text asking me where I am and when I'm coming home. The other day I was on my way to Costco and she texted me to see if I remembered the list and that we needed milk. Well, I of course had the list, and knew that we needed milk-she's the one that wrote it on there! Besides, we ALWAYS need milk. (6-8 gallons a week). While I don't like to be on the receiving end of her mommy-in-training-ness, I am proud to see that she is learning how to manage a household. She is extremely caring and wants to know where everyone is all the time because she has a natural nurturing sense. It's just kind of weird to have someone vying for my position as queen on the house:) So, I may be frustrated with her growing up, I am proud too.
I am opinionated about LOTS of things. This week I am especially irritated with the sport of wrestling. Granted, I hate the sport-but it is good for my boys. That's a whole other vent session - I think I've done that one before. Anyway, wrestling is primarily a boys sport where they try and pin each other using leverage, throws, blah blah blah. Occasionally, we see girls at tournaments. At first I was like...well, if they really want to and are willing to be treated as equal and such then hey, go for it. Then my son had to wrestle a girl at the conference championships. This particular girl has been wrestling with the boys since she was 4 and her Dad has been one of the head coaches for their school for the past 5 years. She has no problem being one of the boys. Good for her. However, when 12 year old girls and 12 year old boys wrestle, it's gonna be awkward. See... she's got boobs. And 12 year old boys are taught not to touch girls in certain places. If he were to get her into a particular hold, his face would be right next to the other place that boys aren't suppose to touch. This all makes the boy very nervous. So, long opinionated story kinda-short.... David took 2nd place in the Middle School Conference Championships. Granted, he's in 6th grade and middle school is 7th and 8th grade. He took it pretty well, we just don't want to talk about it anymore. Little League try-outs are this weekend. That's a fine place for the girls to play the same sport with the boys. I just don't think that skin-tight spandex trying to pin someone of the other sex to the ground is appropriate. I think David would have DIED if he accidentally touched her somewhere he wasn't suppose to. He has a sister, he has no fear of hurting a girl...just those places....creepy....poor guy. I am really proud of how he handled the whole situation.
Well, that's the weekly rant. I am extremely proud of my kids. They are turning out quite nicely, thank you. I am frustrated by them growing up. I am a REALLY opinionated mom.
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
i have the same "problem" or "blessing" with my daughter. i mean every thing you said could have come out of my mouth! good luck to the both of us!
wrestling girls? that would be creepy to have your face all up in their grill (or down in their grill). Eww.
....laughing....because you sound like another opinionated mom I know-yours truly.
Maybe my visual to David about where baby's come out of really screwed him up more than was necessary:) Hahahaha! All your kids are awesome...I'm proud to be their aunt!! Even though I'm embarassing...as Miss kah kah says.
Man I relate to you and all those feelings with your kids. Maybe these are just "mom feelings". And I'm thinking that deal with your daughter is maybe a girl thing. Our daugher does the a lot of those same things.
Now about that wrestling thing-whoo whee that's creepy! Really creepy. I'm all about letting girls play sports with the boys but that is where I draw the line! Yep that's a bit much. I can't believe that her parents are really o.k. with these boys wrestling her and possibly accidently touching her in inappropriate places. Wow. That is something!
JoLynn
Post a Comment