Thursday, February 12, 2009

Teen Dance Conversations

The annual Valentine's Day dance was last night. Our church holds one every year for kids 12-18 from all around the area. (In Mormon speak: the stake, aka about 4 high schools area worth) This is the text conversation I had with my 12 year old boy...who was not excited about the dance.
12: (an hour into the dance, only 30 min left) There is so many ugly people here and they have only played one slow song.
M: Just be a nice guy. If you don't find your loser this time, it will be okay:) Tough it out!
12: I just danced
12: What time is this thing suppose to be over?
12: Her hand was so sweaty.
12: ok, it's over.
Doesn't that just take you back to the day? Sweaty hands, nerves, I wouldn't repeat it again for all the money in the world.
It might also help you to understand the above conversation a little if you know our family "rules" when it comes to a dance. The boys WILL dance with at least one "loserish" girl (their term, I just said someone who no one else has or probably will dance with) and they must say yes to all dance requests. The girls WILL say yes to all dance requests (unless they ask for more than 1). 12, being the A type personality, black and white - no gray area, rule following guy was all worried. First, how embarassing. I mean, really! Second, that the only slow dance he'd have to dance with a weirdo. After picking up the kids, 13 informed on her little brother. His 'loser' wasn't even ugly and not very loser-y. 12's comeback: her hands were all sweaty and her hand kept slipping. I asked big 15 who he danced with. It turns out that he disobeyed. (surprise!) The first slow song, he asked a girl to dance who no one else was dancing with. She just happened to be HOT (his words).
Does anyone else have these "rules" for their kids and dances?

3 comments:

shayla said...

Sweaty palm girl? Related to Whitney?! Just kidding-at least she's cute. I actually enjoyed those days...going there in numbers was the key. But I think I'm gonna have to borrow a few rules from you once my kids hit that age--it's not too far off! Your kids sound like it's TOTAL torture!

Harper said...

THAT is hilarious! I'm with you, Shaunee: I would NOT go back and repeat the awkward teenage days.

David is pretty funny!

URFAVE 5+A Few said...

In our ward and stake they only allow the 14 and up to come. SO being that our oldest is 13 but will be 14 in April we have not yet had to tackle this battle yet. However, I love your rules I think they are great and I will set those same rules. I'm sure our soon to be 14 year old will just love the rules too.

I'm totally with you. You couldn't pay me enough to go back and do it all again, UNLESS, I could go back and do it again knowing what I know now. Then I may go back because I know I'd handle things way different and be much smarter! But ya, I agree it's hard to be a teenager. It's way scary to be a parent of teenagers too. I'd like to just be woke up when they were home off their missions or when there getting married.

Take care and good luck!
JoLynn